It is coming to flea and tick season again so we thought we’d share some of our knowledge on how to prevent your dog or cat from suffering. Knowledge is power so they say!
Did you know?
- A flea has 6 legs and jumps to a host where it will live for it’s entire life, about 2-3 months! A tick usually stays on a host for 2-3 weeks at a time but can live for up to 3 years!
- Ticks are actually related to spiders and are classed as arachnids.
- Ticks and fleas LOVE warmer weather! This is where you will see them thrive looking for new hosts too!
- You are more likely to get fleas in your home, ticks tend to sit and wait where fleas will hitch a ride to help them find a host.
- Ticks are best removed with a tick removal tool. Fleas are best treated, or even better to use preventive measures to stop them from getting infested in the first place.
- Fleas can causes skin issues or can even carry tapeworms whereas ticks carry more serious diseases like Lyme Disease.