Getting a new puppy is so exciting and a super fun experience, whether this is your first dog or your eighth, it requires a lot of hard work, patience and responsibility!
1. An essential part of getting a puppy is ensuring that your house is puppy-proof! Buy the supplies you will need, the essentials are: puppy food, food bowls, lead, collar, dog bed, toys and treats! A crate for your new four-legged friend is also a good idea if you plan on crate training your dog, the crate should be big enough for your puppy to stand up and turn around in comfortably.
2. Deciding which food your puppy should eat is very important. You want to get a food that gives your puppy a healthy, balanced diet to ensure they build a strong immune system, healthy coat and get the most out of life. Exe Valley puppy chicken, turkey and salmon mix is a perfect first bag of food for your pet as it includes all the essential vitamins, minerals and proteins from the high meat content.
3. Start preparing your house for your puppy by putting puppy pads down, encourage your puppy to eliminate on the pads, you can do this by watching for signs that they have to pee or poop and rewarding them with a treat whenever they go on the pad.
4. Ensure that you remove all potential hazards, you need to make sure that there is nothing within reach that could potentially hurt your puppy.
5. Puppies are always full of energy, learn to expend energy; if your puppy starts ripping up or chewing on the furniture, spend some time playing with him/her. Destructive behaviour usually means that your puppy is full of energy and needs to get it out!
6. A very very important thing you need to give your puppy is regular access to drinking water. Make sure that there is always a bowl of water that your pet can drink out of.